Saturday, July 12, 2008

It isn't over, it is just the beginning.......


I will tell you what, the line at the video store was long. Everyone was trying to rent the same movie, but I got it. Now it is time to sit back, relax, enjoy a little popcorn and pop this DVD in. I think I have seen it before, or something similar, but what the heck I can watch it again.


It is the common movie about a down and out pro sports team. Picked to fail and to have the worst players and coaches in the league. Then the plot twists when the team gets the new coach, who is ready to take over the wheel and right the sinking ship, with his new styles and methods. Then you have your star player who just wants to win, the older veteran who wants another shot at going all the way, the kids who just want to prove themselves, and the rest of the cast of character who are average players who will become awesome by the end of the movie. So lets start this thing.


I am a big fan of the sports movie. Major League, Slap Shot, Unnecessary Roughness, the Comebacks (ha ha I like parody movies too). To me, this Thrashers season has the makings of a great sports movie. Now, just hear me out for a minute.


Everything is set up. The Thrashers are coming off a horrible season, they have lost some of their big name players (not that we actually mind losing some), and they are being ridiculed in the world of blogs, rumours, and well sports in general. It seems everyone is picking the Thrashers to fail, and not only just fail, fail miserably. Perfect setting isn't it?


The new coach comes in and changes everything, starts getting things in order, running the team effectively. He works with the players' individual strengths in order to make the team more rounded. The team starts playing better, even with the average talent of the players and boom we have out story.


I think it could happen. I really think that everyone is counting the Thrashers out way to early in the season. Well heck, the season hasn't even started. The roster isn't set. The scheduled hasn't been released. The tickets haven't been printed, but the popcorn has been popped and stored in trash bags for the preseason.


Anything can happen, Don could land a good free agent (if there are any left). He certainly could trade to fill the gaps. Pure talent is not always the answer. Working together as a team can also increase our chances. Last season I felt that the guys didn't get along so well and that spilled onto the ice. I have played sports and I have coached sports and one thing I know is that you have to all be friendly and work together to get the job done. If a team is full of attitude and "clicks', then it will not function as a well oiled machine. Instead the wheels will fall off and the machine will burst into flames when it hits the wall.


I think Anderson is going to turn this around. He will be able to take the players that we do have and create a team. I, for one am a Thrashers fan. You have to experience and live through the bad in order to enjoy and appreciate the good. Take a page from the Atlanta Braves. I suffered through the bad seasons. I went to games where there were 12 people it seemed there total. I also was able to enjoy it when things improved. I was loyal to my team. I am loyal to the Thrashers now. That doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated with the players, coaches and Don because I do. I like to vent too. But I will always support them. Why? I am loyal to MY team and I enjoy the sport of hockey.


So for now I am going to pause this movie. I hope I am right about the ending. I still believe that heads will turn and opinions will change. It is too early to tell right now, it is only July and this isn't do back until oh.......... June ;)
More to come soon. Thank you for stopping by.

No comments: